Adventure Caving in CheerapunjiThe consequence of Cherrapunjee rain is basically air being lifted as a large body of water vapor. Large part of the rainfall recorded can be attributed to the orographic features of the Khasi Hills here. The heavy rainfall area pointed by Cherrapunjee is estimated to cover about 100 to 200 sq km. We can compare this to the heavy rainfall area of only 5 square km of Mount Weialeale in Hawaii (USA), which is in the middle of ocean.
Cherrapunjee is about 400 km heartland from the Bay of Bengal in the Indian Ocean and is home to over 25000 people.
Millions of years of overflowing downpours in this highest rainfall area in the world has carved out beautiful and fascinating mazes of caves in the limestone rocks of this area. The stalagmite, stalactite and flowstone formations inside these caves are astounding and transports one to another world. Cavers from Germany, Britain, Australia, America, and New Zealand find these caves very interesting and good for adventure sport. You can come and enjoy the thrill of caving in our caves.
Find below a list of adventure caves in Cheerapunji :
- Krem Mawmluh: It is about 7 km long. It is about 12 km from the Resort. This cave has got many impressive stalagmite and stalactite formations.
- Krem Umshyrpi: It is in Mawlong about 14 km from the Resort involves a vertical descent into a large pit at the start and some climbing down rope ladders inside the cave. The lowest level in this cave system which is the fairy passage is really falluring There are still passages in this cave that are yet to be checked out.
- Krem Umjasew: It is in Mustoh village. It starts off as a small hole in a stream bed. As you go down into the cave passage beneath, you find that you are inside a very large passage going down in a sharp incline. This is stated to be the 3rd deepest cave system discovered in India. This cave involves some tricky cave in and daring caving. Recommended for knowledgeable cavers.
- Krem Umsong: It is about a km long. The entrance has a vertical shaft about 40 feet deep. Thereafter getting past a squeeze you have larger passages and some belly crawling sections to do.
- Krem Shella: It is a rejuvenating cave.
- Krem Wahlong: It has beautiful architectural inside.
- Krem Laiseng: It has a short cave less than a km long with numerous stalactites covered in a covering of mud. One of the stalactite seem to be like a bird jumping into water.
Cheerapunji Holiday Resort
Village Laitkynsew, Cherrapunjee 793 108,
Phone number : 91-94361-15925
Mobile : 91-96153-38500
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org